Personal Application Terms and Conditions
Metro ExpressLanes License Agreement
Please read this Application and License Agreement carefully. By opening a Metro ExpressLanes FasTrak® account, you
agree to the following terms:
This FasTrak License Agreement ("Agreement") with the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority ("Metro") constitutes a license to use the transponder issued to you for use on the I-110 and I-10 Metro ExpressLanes as well as any other California toll facility bearing the FasTrak logo. The transponder remains the property of Metro. This Agreement accompanies and is part of each FasTrak Application. Your submittal of an Application constitutes your acknowledgement and consent to the terms of this Agreement. Metro reserves the right to withhold issuance of a transponder or establishment of a FasTrak account to any applicant with outstanding toll violations or other amounts due to Metro.
You Agree to:
- Pay all tolls and fees charged to your FasTrak account.
- Install and use the transponder in accordance with instructions provided to you in your transponder package.
- Accurately set the self-declaration switch to indicate the actual number of occupants in the vehicle prior to traveling on the Metro ExpressLanes.
- Pay the single occupancy toll rate if you fail to properly set the transponder to the accurate occupancy status prior to entering the Metro ExpressLanes.
- Pay the minimum toll rate if the digital message sign says "TOLLS IN EFFECT."
- Pay the maximum toll rate if you enter the ExpressLanes when the digital message sign says "EXPRESSLANES CLOSED TO ALL TRAFFIC."
- Pay the maximum toll rate if you enter the Express Lanes and do not meet the occupancy requirement when the digital message sign says "HOV 2+ ONLY" or "HOV 3+ONLY."
- Obey all applicable laws, regulations, and policies of the Metro ExpressLanes facilities.
- Promptly review your statement and notify the Metro ExpressLanes Customer Service Center of any questions regarding charges. Charges not questioned within 30 days of the statement date will be deemed valid.
- Report any changes to your name, mailing address, telephone number, e-mail, vehicle license plate numbers, billing information (credit/debit card number and expiration date) as soon as they become available to you. You will remain liable for all tolls charged to a vehicle on your account until you have notified the Metro ExpressLanes Customer Service Center of any changes in vehicle ownership.
- Minimum Account Balances, Fees, and Charges
- If you selected Credit or Debit to replenish your account, you authorize Metro to charge your card $40 for each of the first four transponders issued, and $20 thereafter for each additional transponder issued, as the total initial deposit into your pre-paid toll account. You authorize Metro to replenish
your account by charging your card $40 or the equivalent of
one month's usage averaged over a three month period
(whichever amount is greater) each time your account balance falls below $10 or 25% of your average monthly usage
(whichever amount is greater).
- If you selected cash, check or money order to replenish your
account, you agree to make an initial pre-paid toll balance
payment of $50 for each of the first four transponders issued, and $25 thereafter for each additional transponder issued, as
the total initial deposit into your prepaid toll account. In
addition, you agree to make a cash or check payment of $50 or the equivalent of one month's usage averaged over a three month period (whichever amount is greater) each time your account balance falls below $25 or 50% of your average monthly usage (whichever amount is greater). You agree that such
payment will be received by the Metro ExpressLanes Customer Service Center prior to your prepaid toll account balance
reaching a zero dollar balance.
- You agree that your replenishment amount and replenishment threshold are both subject to change based on your average monthly usage.
- You agree that a fee may be charged to your account for checks returned by your bank or financial institution.
- You agree that a fee may be charged to your account should you fail to maintain a positive prepaid toll account balance.
- You agree that Metro or its agent may charge a fee for providing printed statements.
- You agree that Metro or its agent may charge a fee for
transactions processed by review of your license plate rather than a transponder reading.
- You agree to pay a monthly administrative fee to maintain your account.
- You agree to waive all interest or benefits that may accrue on
any prepaid toll account balances or transponder deposits
- If you chose Option 2 (Cash or Check), in addition to a prepaid toll account balance, you agree to pay a $25 security deposit for each transponder issued to you. Metro will refund the deposit if you return the transponder(s) in original working condition.
- If you chose Option 1 (Card), you agree that Metro may charge your card $25 for each transponder not returned in good working condition. If a transponder fails to operate for reasons other than abuse or improper use, Metro will replace the transponder at no charge.
- If a transponder is lost, stolen, or damaged, report it to the Metro ExpressLanes Customer Service Center immediately. You remain liable for all tolls charged to your transponder until you have notified the Customer Service Center. You will be charged $25 for the replacement of each transponder that has been lost or stolen unless an official police report is provided.
- If you obtained your transponder from a retail store, you agree that $25 will be held as a transponder deposit and the remaining balance of your payment will be available as prepaid tolls until the transponder is registered. Upon registration using Option 1 (Card), the $25 deposit will be applied to your prepaid toll
account balance. If registration is by Option 2 (Cash or Check), the $25 will remain as a deposit. If you do not register your
transponder within 7 business days from first use, or if your prepaid toll account balance becomes negative, the transponder will become invalid and your transponder deposit will be forfeited.
- You agree that the transponder may be read to provide
anonymous traffic flow data to Metro's Regional Integration
of Intelligent Transportation Systems (RIITS), a real time traffic information service. No information identifying an account, person, or vehicle using the transponder will be collected by
the RIITS system.
- Interoperability with FasTrak System
Your transponder may be used to pay tolls on the Metro ExpressLanes on the I-10, I-110 and any California toll facility bearing the FasTrak logo, with the exception of the San Francisco Airport Parking Facility.
If you drive on any FasTrak toll facility in a vehicle with your
transponder or in a vehicle registered to your account, that toll
facility's electronic toll equipment will read your transponder or vehicle plate and a record of your transaction will be created. The
associated tolls will be charged to your account in accordance with the rules, regulations, and procedures of that FasTrak toll facility. It is your responsibility to be aware of and comply with such rules, regulations, and procedures. If you use your transponder or a vehicle registered to your FasTrak account on a FasTrak toll facility, you agree to pay the tolls charged by that FasTrak toll facility, whether billed by Metro or any other FasTrak toll facility. You agree that Metro may share with
the operator of such FasTrak toll facility and its agent's information necessary for the processing and collection of tolls and other fees.
- Metro Transit Access Pass (TAP)
To become eligible for Metro ExpressLanes reward toll credits you must provide the Metro ExpressLanes Customer Service Center with information about your TAP account. Only transit trips taken on the Metro ExpressLanes will be eligible for transit reward toll credits. Your eligibility status will be confirmed with TAP and information required to issue your reward credits will be exchanged. Reward credits can only be redeemed on Metro ExpressLanes, have no cash value, and expire 90 days after issuance.
- Equity Plan
Applicants may qualify for an Equity Plan by presenting proof of residency in Los Angeles County and annual household income of less than $39,580 or double the federal poverty level for family size of 3. Applicants must present a Paycheck Stub, current Tax Return, or proof of enrollment in one of these programs: MediCal, Lifeline, Public Benefit or LAUSD Lunch Program.
Enrollment in the Equity Plan is only available through the mail or at a Metro ExpressLanes Walk-In Center. The initial prepaid toll balance deposit is reduced by $25 for Equity Plan members and the monthly account maintenance fee will be waived. The Equity Plan is limited to one per household.
- Metro Carpool/Vanpool
You will be automatically enrolled in the Metro ExpressLanes Carpool Loyalty Program when your trip is recorded as
2-occupant or 3-occupant. You authorize Metro to provide you with notification of gift card incentives your carpool/vanpool
has won as a part of the Loyalty Program. Your account must be in good standing to win a gift card.
- Friends & Family
When existing Metro ExpressLanes customers (referrer) refer a friend or family member (referred customer) and a new Metro ExpressLanes FasTrak account is opened using the referrer's account number, the referrer will receive $10 in toll credits after the referred customer's account has been open for 60 days and is in good standing on the sixtieth (60th)
day. Promotion open to all persons who are 18 years of age or older and have a valid Metro ExpressLanes FasTrak account in good standing.Promotion is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. For Friends & family Official Rules, click here.
- Mobile Alerts
Metro ExpressLanes customers may opt in to receive mobile text alerts to notify them of changes to their account. Use of the Mobile Alerts Service ("Service") constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions. Metro ExpressLanes may amend these Terms, and modify or cancel the Service and any of its features without notice. By agreeing to the Terms
and Conditions, you agree to Metro ExpressLanes sending text messages through your wireless provider. Metro ExpressLanes does not charge for the Service, but you are responsible for all charges and fees associated with text messaging as imposed by your wireless service provider. You may
opt out of this Service at any time by texting STOP, END, QUIT, CANCEL, or UNSUBSCRIBE to METRO (63876) or by updating your Account Profile online to "I decline Mobile Alerts." For full Terms & Conditions, click here.
Metro or its agent may terminate this Agreement at any time and for any reason. If you wish to terminate this Agreement, you must return all issued transponders(s) to the Metro ExpressLanes Customer Service Center. Upon return of your transponder(s), your toll account balance and/or transponder deposit(s) will be refunded to the card on file or by check
(if cash account) within 30 days of the return of the final
transponder. Following any termination, you remain
responsible for payments owed under this Agreement. If your toll account balance is insufficient to cover outstanding charges, you will remain liable for all such amounts and may become liable for additional fees and penalties, in accordance with applicable law, and you may be subject to collection
actions for any unpaid balance.
Metro reserves the right to change the terms of this Agreement and these policies at any time by providing notice to you. You will be deemed to have received such notice ten (10) days after notice is generated. You agree to all changes when you use your transponder after that date.
- Release and Indemnity
You hereby release Metro and its directors, officers, employees, and agents from all loss, damage, or injury whatsoever, known or unknown, arising out of or in any manner connected with the use or performance of the transponder(s) issued to you. You agree that Metro and its directors, officers, employees, and agents will not incur any obligation or liability for any such loss, damage or injury. Your sole and exclusive remedy against Metro will be the replacement of any defective transponder(s). You agree to indemnify, protect, and hold harmless Metro and its directors, officers, employees, and agents from all liability for any loss, damage, or injury to persons or property arising from or related to the use of the transponder(s) issued to you.
- Failure to Comply
If you fail to comply with any portion of this Agreement, it may
result in your transactions being processed as violations under California Vehicle Code §4770, §23302, §23302.5 and §40250 and any other applicable law. If violations occur, the registered vehicle owner will be subject to penalties, and unpaid violations may be referred for collection action, including but not limited to the withholding of vehicle registration, intercept by the
Franchise Tax Board, civil judgments, and other actions as provided by law.
- Personal Information Notice
Metro's treatment of personal information is described in
is consistent with Federal and State laws governing an
individual's rights to privacy. Your disclosure of personal
information related to this program is voluntary. Failure to
- Governing Law
This Agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of California. If any term of this Agreement is found to be invalid, such invalidity shall not affect the validity
of the remaining terms.
Please address all inquiries and notices to:
Metro ExpressLanes Customer Service Center
Mail: PO Box 3878, Gardena, CA 90247
Telephone: 511 or 877.224.6511